You are here::
- Good News Mission English School : (ages 3-5)Provides the opportunity to receive a good education. Since opening in June 2010, we now have 160 children enrolled, all of which come from very poor families. Sponsoring a child for only $ 10 a month allows them to get the English medium education tremendously needed, including books, tuition fees, and school uniforms. Our goal is to raise $ 8,000 USD to purchase a used school bus to provide transportation to and from school.
- Maureen Children's Home : (ages 6-17) Consisting of 20 children all living on premisses, we provide first and foremost love, followed by accommodation, food, clothing, and schooling material. The children attend the school next door where good education is ensured. These children come from very poor families who can't afford to feed or house them, some having lost either one or both parents. Sponsoring a child for $15 per month covers the cost for food, school items and a school uniform. $250 USD feeds all 20 children for the entire month.
- Women Self Help : Started in August 2009 -Composed of four groups (10 women in each group). Each woman regularly deposits $2.22 USD (100 Rupees)per month into a joint bank account. If someone is in urgent need of money they can apply to the group leader for a loan. The idea is to not only teach them how to save money regularly, but to provide loans so these women can start a home based business earning money for their families. If approved, this loan will be given to them with low interest rates of 3% which they will have to repay within one year. In order to start giving loans we must have $222USD (10,000 Rupees per women). As they start repaying this money we can continue giving loans to more and more women setting up new self help groups.
- MAUREEN CARE HOME: located in the outcasted leper colony. A facility consisting of four groups:
- Health Care :Under this project, we have started the treatment for 76 men and women effected by leprosy seriously in need oftreatment. Medicine is provided regularly and a doctor visits the colony every Sunday 4 to7 pm to treat the patients. $9 USD,will buy a month's supply of MDT medication for one of the scores of persons afflicted with Leprosy, a terrible disease,fortunately, unknown to Americans. MDT remains highly effective, and patients are no longer infectious after the first monthly dose.However, left untreated, leprosy can be progressive, causing permanent damage to the skin, nerves, limbs and eyes. For only$108USD a year, one life will be saved! Although the damaging results can't be reversed, a full consistent year of treatmentwill cure them from this horrific disease. They will be free from leprosy and given a fair chance at life again. The lack ofawareness about this disease leads people to believe (falsely) that the disease is highly contagious and incurable. Less than ten percent of the world's population is actually capable of acquiring the diseaseWe also have arranged medical treatment for general sickness, as well as providing them with the medicine needed. A doctor
visits the leper colony every Wednesday morning. Within the last three months, as a result of the MAUREEN CARE HOME,
were able to provide treatment and medicine to 76 Lepers and general treatment to 279 men, women, and children.
- Sewing Machine: Training for women: We offer a one year free course of sewing training. Upon completion, the students
are given the sewing machine. With this learned trade, the women are able to work in their homes providing a financial means
to support their family. Due to lack of donations from manufacturer's, we were unable to continue this course. With your help
we can commence this program once again. One machine costs $78USD (3,500 Rupees) Forty women await the opportunity
to pick up this tailoring training.
- Adult Literacy Classes: Consisting of 45 illiterates(32 women and 13 Men). Night school is held regularly from 8 to 9 pm
where our teacher, Suryawanshi Umesh, is dedicated to teaching them how to read and write.
- Pre Primary School: 35 children from the leper colony are attending this school regularly. Classes are held from 9-11am. All
35 children are in need of one dress and one pair of shoes totaling $9USD per child(400 Rupees). A total of $311 USD
(14,000 Rupees) Sponsors are needed for this program to continue the education for the youngsters that have been outcasted
due to one or more family members having leprosy.